Serena Williams Says Motherhood Sometimes Gets Her Down
Serena Williams is known for being one of the strongest black females in pop culture today both physically and mentally from the 20+ years she’s been a pro-tennis player to her amazing body but even she has her vulnerabilities. The 36 year old who’s on the cover of February’s Vogue told the fashion magazine about some of the “the low moments” of motherhood with the child she had with husband and Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian.
“Sometimes I get really down and feel like, ‘Man, I can’t do this,'” Williams confessed. “It’s that same negative attitude I have on the court sometimes. I guess that’s just who I am.”
“No one talks about the low moments — the pressure you feel, the incredible letdown every time you hear the baby cry. I’ve broken down I don’t know how many times,” she added. “The emotions are insane.”
One might ask how could someone on the success level of Serena have anxiety about anything, much less being a mother? The CDC says between 11 and 20% of new mothers experience postpartum depression in the United States. Serena did say that being a mother has helped curb some of her anxiety issues, a good thing for expecting mothers because many would think the exact opposite would be the case.
“It’s not a secret I have my sights on 25,” the star said, referencing her goal of setting a Grand Slam titles record. “And actually, I think having a baby might help. When I’m too anxious I lose matches, and I feel like a lot of that anxiety disappeared when Olympia was born.”
“Knowing I’ve got this beautiful baby to go home to makes me feel like I don’t have to play another match,” she explained. “I don’t need the money or the titles or the prestige. I want them, but I don’t need them. That’s a different feeling for me.”
All of the pressures of motherhood are worth it in the end. In an Instagram post Wednesday showing her and her child posing together, she cried.
“When I first saw this @voguemagazine cover it brought tears to my eyes. All Vogue covers are special but to share this one with my beautiful daughter @olympiaohanian also the youngest Vogue cover star makes it moment I will never forget,” she wrote.
- Actor Joshua Joseph Gillum Shows Us Just How Hung He Actually Is + Is He Gay? - September 18, 2018
- Katt Williams Got Threatened with a Gun by Wanda Smith’s Husband for Roasting Her On Air - September 17, 2018
- Tom Arnold Says ‘Apprentice’ Producer Mark Burnett Choked Him at an Emmy Party - September 17, 2018
- Jamaican Model Clinton Moxam Shows His Cakes Off in the Shower - September 16, 2018
- Sorry Boys, Viral Star Khalil Wells Says Just Because He’s Slept with Guys Doesn’t Mean He’s Gay - September 15, 2018
- Straight Youtuber Tarion Caldwell Says He Wants to be Ate Like Groceries Too - September 15, 2018
- Mariah Carey Releases the Music Video to Her New Single ‘GTFO’ - September 14, 2018
- Knot Head Cardi B & Drake Lead Nominations for American Music Awards & BET Hip Hop Awards - September 13, 2018
- Kourtney Kardashian Didn’t Get Chosen to be Khloe’s Baby’s Legal Guardian & Now She’s #BigMad - September 13, 2018
- Tamar Braxton Reveals She was Molested by Multiple Family Members Growing Up - September 13, 2018