Rapper Meek Mill Backs Out of Meeting with Trump on Prison Reform
Rapper Meek Mill recently had a chance of a lifetime when he became the face of criminal justice reform when he was given a 2 to 4 year prison sentence for violating probation from a decade old illegal gun and drug conviction. Jay-Z swooped in, spent millions in legal fees to get him out, something the average American doesn’t have. Political and media figures from coast to coast were visiting him and speaking about the conviction. Also keep in mind that the judge asked to be in a music video of his and the clerk asked for $30k for her child’s college tuition and she still got to preside over the case. This has even resulted in him getting his own Amazon Prime docuseries on criminal justice reform.
Finally, the plight and story of rapper Meek Mill made its way up to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and he had a chance to meet with the President at the White House. That’s a good thing, right? Well apparently not as he just pulled out of the event amid pressures from many including the man who helped get him out of prison, Jay-Z, all saying that a meeting with Trump would be detrimental.
“I was originally scheduled to be part of a panel on Prison Reform at the White House to help shed light on the issues within the system,” Mill said in a statement. “Unfortunately, the focus turned to the President and myself which concerned me that it might take away from creating a positive result from today’s discussions.
“As a result, I decided not to attend, so that the focus would be solely on fixing our prison system,” the rapper said. “Most importantly, I remain fully committed to improving our criminal justice system.”
Decades have gone by with complaints about the criminal justice system and despite the rapper’s feelings about the President, this could have been his chance to finally change things. It’s unfortunate that the meeting didn’t happen but since the conversation is happening now, if not him, someone else will jump to the opportunity to affect change… a person less afraid of their own shadow.
- Actor Joshua Joseph Gillum Shows Us Just How Hung He Actually Is + Is He Gay? - September 18, 2018
- Katt Williams Got Threatened with a Gun by Wanda Smith’s Husband for Roasting Her On Air - September 17, 2018
- Tom Arnold Says ‘Apprentice’ Producer Mark Burnett Choked Him at an Emmy Party - September 17, 2018
- Jamaican Model Clinton Moxam Shows His Cakes Off in the Shower - September 16, 2018
- Sorry Boys, Viral Star Khalil Wells Says Just Because He’s Slept with Guys Doesn’t Mean He’s Gay - September 15, 2018
- Straight Youtuber Tarion Caldwell Says He Wants to be Ate Like Groceries Too - September 15, 2018
- Mariah Carey Releases the Music Video to Her New Single ‘GTFO’ - September 14, 2018
- Knot Head Cardi B & Drake Lead Nominations for American Music Awards & BET Hip Hop Awards - September 13, 2018
- Kourtney Kardashian Didn’t Get Chosen to be Khloe’s Baby’s Legal Guardian & Now She’s #BigMad - September 13, 2018
- Tamar Braxton Reveals She was Molested by Multiple Family Members Growing Up - September 13, 2018