President Trump Claims His Predecessor Didn’t Call Bereaved Military Families and the Obama Supporters are Not Having It
President Trump is once again caught in front of the cameras presenting alternative facts and the Obama supporters are not having it.
On Monday, during a press conference at the Rose Garden, Trump was asked whether he would call the families of the four U.S. Army special operations commandos killed in an ambush in Niger earlier this month. He said he would. Instead of leaving in there and focus activating his claim, President Trump went on to claimed that President Obama had not done so in similar situations.
“The traditional way if you look at President Obama and the other presidents, most of them didn’t make calls, a lot of them didn’t make calls. I like to call when it’s appropriate, when I think I’m able to do it. They made the ultimate sacrifice, so generally I would say that I like to call.”
“So the traditional way — if you look at President Obama and other presidents, most of them didn’t make calls. A lot of them didn’t make calls. I like to call when it’s appropriate, when I think I am able to do it.” Of the commandos, he went on; “They have made the ultimate sacrifice. So generally I would say that I like to call. I’m going to be calling them. I want a little time to pass. I’m going to be calling them.”
The Obama administration has yet to comment, but his former aides were quick to rebut the claim.
A former White House official told TIME; “President Trump’s claim is wrong. President Obama engaged families of the fallen and wounded warriors throughout his presidency through calls, letters, visits to Section 60 at Arlington, visits to Walter Reed, visits to Dover, and regular meetings with Gold Star Families at the White House and across the country.”
Pete Souza, Obama’s White House photographer, also posted a photograph on Instagram of Barack and Michelle Obama meeting with the parents of Sergeant Jared C. Monti who was killed in Afghanistan and posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.
“I also photographed him meeting with hundreds of wounded soldiers, and family members of those killed in action,” Souza wrote.
On Wednesday October 4th, U.S. officials reported that three U.S. Army special operations commandos were killed and two others were wounded when they came under fire in southwest Niger. U.S. forces, who are in Niger to provide training and security assistance to the Nigerien Armed Forces in their efforts against violent extremists, are alleged to have possibly been attacked by al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb militants.
- Fashion Icon Mychael Knight Dies at Age 39 - October 17, 2017
- President Trump Claims His Predecessor Didn’t Call Bereaved Military Families and the Obama Supporters are Not Having It - October 17, 2017
- The Results are In: Bachelor in Paradise’s Sexual Assault Investigation is Over - June 20, 2017
- Remembering Orlando: One Year Anniversary of the Pulse Nightclub Shooting - June 12, 2017
- “Bachelor in Paradise” Suspended Due to Alleged Sexual Assault on Set - June 12, 2017
- Multiple Shooting in Orlando - June 5, 2017
- Prince Harry Receives Royal Permission to Marry Meghan Markle - May 17, 2017
- Jamaican Olympic Gold Medalist Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Reports that She’s Pregnant - March 8, 2017
- The Obamas Sign Multi-Million Dollar Book Deal - March 7, 2017
- NFL Player Aldon Smith Is Being Investigated in a Domestic Incident - February 14, 2017