Nicki Minaj Deletes Instagram Pics of Her H&M Line in Light of Racial Ad Scandal
H&M pulled a stunt this week that if I hadn’t seen it for myself I almost wouldn’t believe it actually occurred. They were selling a hoodie on their site saying “Coolest monkey in the jungle.” The internet immediately lost it. Keep in mind, Dove did the same thing in 2017 where a black woman started off black using their soap and ended up a white woman.
So far Jesse Williams has denounced the H&M ad as a “pathetic excuse for corporate behavior.” R&B singer The Weeknd announced on Twitter he was cutting ties with the company after just over a year of having merchandise with them. In their apology, H&M said the hoodie has been removed from their site and will no longer be sold in the United States. If interpreted correctly, this sounds as though they’re going to stop being racist in America but not other countries. How interesting.
Rapper Nicki Minaj, who just debuted a holiday line with them has been getting pressured by fans to speak up as well. She took silent action by removing all sponsored images from H&M on her Instagram account. I’m sure she’s going to face backlash for not saying anything but some people are activists and others aren’t. It’s a tough situation of working, minding your business and ending up the center of scandal just for being paid by a company having to choose whether to make a public rebuke, having to call up your attorney to handle the loose ends of getting out of promotional obligations… it’s a mess and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Also, what I don’t wish on anyone is to be the person who came up with the photo idea of putting the monkey hoodie on the black child.
While there is a lot of backlash right now towards H&M, let’s hope those calling for boycott will continue to do so into 2019 and not let this end on the other side of this news cycle.
- Katt Williams Got Threatened with a Gun by Wanda Smith’s Husband for Roasting Her On Air - September 17, 2018
- Tom Arnold Says ‘Apprentice’ Producer Mark Burnett Choked Him at an Emmy Party - September 17, 2018
- Jamaican Model Clinton Moxam Shows His Cakes Off in the Shower - September 16, 2018
- Sorry Boys, Viral Star Khalil Wells Says Just Because He’s Slept with Guys Doesn’t Mean He’s Gay - September 15, 2018
- Straight Youtuber Tarion Caldwell Says He Wants to be Ate Like Groceries Too - September 15, 2018
- Mariah Carey Releases the Music Video to Her New Single ‘GTFO’ - September 14, 2018
- Knot Head Cardi B & Drake Lead Nominations for American Music Awards & BET Hip Hop Awards - September 13, 2018
- Kourtney Kardashian Didn’t Get Chosen to be Khloe’s Baby’s Legal Guardian & Now She’s #BigMad - September 13, 2018
- Tamar Braxton Reveals She was Molested by Multiple Family Members Growing Up - September 13, 2018
- Nicki Minaj Gets Called Out for Not Paying the $25,000 Pledge She Made to Geoffrey Owens - September 12, 2018