Juvenile’s ‘Back That A** Up’ Turns 19-Years-Old Today
Time really does fly. Today is February 24 and believe it or not, it serves as the 19th anniversary of Juvenile‘s dance-floor breakout single, Back That Azz Up, which is also known as it’s censored version: Back That Thang Up.
Written by Juvenile, Lil Wayne and Mannie Fresh, it was produced by Mannie and served as the second single from his 1998 album 400 Degreez. The song, an explicit exploration of the same themes as Sir Mix-a-Lot‘s “Baby Got Back” was Juvenile’s biggest hit single until the release of Slow Motion in 2004, peaking at number 19 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Since its release, Back That Azz Up has been added to the list of iconic songs by Black artists joining Before I Let Go by Frankie Beverly & Maze, The Electric Slide and most recently, The Wobble.
Released in 1998, on Cash Money Records, 400 Degreez served as Juvenile’s third studio album and As of 2013, 400 Degreez has sold well over 5 million copies worldwide and even won R&B Album Of The Year at the 1999 Billboard Music Awards.
No matter where you are or who you are, once that beat drops, you know what time it is:
- Michael B. Jordan Shows Off Six Pack Abs + Talks Empowering Women in Essence June 2018 Issue - May 18, 2018
- LISTEN: Jennifer Lopez Featuring Cardi B & DJ Khaled – ‘Dinero’ - May 18, 2018
- Emily B Reveals New Teeth Following Domestic Dispute with Rapper & Boyfriend Fabolous - May 7, 2018
- IT’S ABOUT TIME: Janet Jackson to Receive the 2018 Billboard Icon Award - May 7, 2018
- Khloe Kardashian & Tristan Thompson are “Fully” Back Together + Couple Spotted for the First Time in Public Since Cheating Scandal - May 5, 2018
- DJ Khaled Gets Dragged on Twitter for Saying He Doesn’t Perform Oral Sex on His Wife because He’s the King of the House - May 4, 2018
- WATCH: Nicki Minaj Releases Official Videos for ‘Barbie Tingz’ & ‘Chun Li’ - May 4, 2018
- Michael Blackson to Kanye West: If Slavery Was a Choice then So Was Your Wife’s Paris Robbery - May 3, 2018
- GLAM SHOTS: Rihanna Talks Reason for Launching Fenty Beauty, No Longer Being Friends with Drake & More in Vogue’s June 2018 Issue - May 3, 2018
- WATCH: Celine Dion & Deadpool Collide for a Hilariously Great Performance in ‘Ashes’ Official Music Video - May 3, 2018