Dionne Warwick Calls Accusations that Her Sister Dee Dee Sexually Abused Whitney Houston “Hogwash”
A new Whitney Houston documentary is out and her family is NOT happy about it. By her family we’re referring to her cousin Dionne Warwick. The accusation is that long before Whitney even had a chance to record her first album she was sexually abused by her cousin and sister of Dionne Warwick, Dee Dee Warwick. This came from Whitney’s longtime assistant Mary Jones who said she never told her family because she was likely embarrassed and ashamed about what happened. In an upcoming Larry King interview, (yes we said Larry King.. he’s still alive) she’s huffing and puffing calling the claims “evil” and untrue.
“I have tried to refrain from responding to that,” the 77-year-old singer explained. “First of all, it’s totally hogwash. My sister would never, ever have done anything to do any harm to any child, especially within our family. And for those lies to be perpetuated in this so-called documentary film, I think it’s evil.”
Dionne said she was “totally shocked” by the news and went on to say “I will never, and I mean this, ever forgive those who perpetuated this insanity.”
But it isn’t just the assistant making the claim. Whitney’s brother Gary also said Dee Dee abused him sexually from age 7 to 9.
Dionne and aunt Cissy Houston put out a statement before the film made it in the Cannes Film Festival this past May unequivacally denouncing these accusations saying “We cannot overstate the shock and horror we feel and the difficulty we have believing that my niece Dee Dee Warwick . . . molested two of my three children.”
“Neither Whitney nor Dee Dee are here to deny, refute or affirm … How can that be fair to my daughter, to Dee Dee, to our family?”
“I was close to Whitney, she confided in me and I struggled tremendously deciding whether to share this secret or keep to myself,” Jones previously told PEOPLE in an exclusive statement. “I deeply love and respect Dionne, Cissy and their entire families, and my intention was never to embarrass anyone in the family, but rather to bring to light that Whitney was subjected to something painful and troubling as a child. And it’s something that happens to other innocent kids and goes unspoken too much.
She continued, “I decided to share the story so that people might understand that throughout her entire life Whitney carried this with her, and the weight of it was immense. Whitney was a wonderful woman, an angel, and she did not drag herself down all alone — there was a cause.”
And herein lies the issue with Dionne’s stance. While these are shocking statements to hear and very well might not be true as Dee Dee passed 10 years ago and can’t defend herself, you can never state what someone else is capable of. People hold in stories of rape and sexual abuse for years all of the time. Hello, has anyone been paying attention to the news lately? Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby, anyone? The appropriate response would have been to just state that you hope that it isn’t true and that you would be disappointed if that in fact did happen. Personally I would never lie to cover another person’s behavior especially if I can’t prove it didn’t happen whether they discussed it with me or not. And if Dee Dee did in fact have a conversation with Dionne about this she needed to state just that. Otehrwise she knows no more than any of the rest of us.
Glitzers, watch a clip of Dionne Warwick’s Larry King interview airing August 15th below:
- Katt Williams Got Threatened with a Gun by Wanda Smith’s Husband for Roasting Her On Air - September 17, 2018
- Tom Arnold Says ‘Apprentice’ Producer Mark Burnett Choked Him at an Emmy Party - September 17, 2018
- Jamaican Model Clinton Moxam Shows His Cakes Off in the Shower - September 16, 2018
- Sorry Boys, Viral Star Khalil Wells Says Just Because He’s Slept with Guys Doesn’t Mean He’s Gay - September 15, 2018
- Straight Youtuber Tarion Caldwell Says He Wants to be Ate Like Groceries Too - September 15, 2018
- Mariah Carey Releases the Music Video to Her New Single ‘GTFO’ - September 14, 2018
- Knot Head Cardi B & Drake Lead Nominations for American Music Awards & BET Hip Hop Awards - September 13, 2018
- Kourtney Kardashian Didn’t Get Chosen to be Khloe’s Baby’s Legal Guardian & Now She’s #BigMad - September 13, 2018
- Tamar Braxton Reveals She was Molested by Multiple Family Members Growing Up - September 13, 2018
- Nicki Minaj Gets Called Out for Not Paying the $25,000 Pledge She Made to Geoffrey Owens - September 12, 2018