Chance the Rapper Announces Buying Chicagoist Newspaper in New Song + 3 New Tracks
Chance the Rapper is embarking on a new leg of his philanthropic journey now with his recent purchase of the Chicagoist newspaper. The site was shut down in 2017 after its writers banned together voting to be unionized. It was at that moment that Chicagoist, DCist, LAist and Gothamist were all shut down as the owner simply wasn’t dealing with a union. After being purchased by WNYC earlier this year the site reopened but not for long. There’s now a new kid on the block. At only 25, Chicago native Chance the Rapper just purchased the Chicagoist newspaper with the announcement being made in a new song he released late Wednesday, July 18th.
The song, I Might Need Security had the rapper saying “I bought the Chicagoist just to run you racist b—–s outta business,” and said F you on repeat in the background. What Chance realizes is that it takes more than lip service and reading lines in front of a camera to fix your neighborhoods, If you have concerns, you have to put in the work yourself to make the change. He has been an integral part of the improvement of his hometown of Chicago and has put his money where his mouth is. Something that I make a point to do on air is to mention a lot of the positive changes Chicago has been facing but that isn’t as appealing to journalists as ambulance chasing. Chance on the other hand knows that in order to change the narrative you have to write it yourself and what better way than to buy into the local press?
In a statement he said “I’m extremely excited to be continuing the work of the Chicagoist, an integral local platform for Chicago news, events and entertainment… I look forward to relaunching it and bringing the people of Chicago an independent media outlet focused on amplifying diverse voices and content.”
The owner under New York Public Radio (WNYC), Laura Walker, the radio station’s president and CEO, she said in a statement this morning that “WNYC has a strong commitment to local journalism and building community, and we are pleased that these assets will be used to support local coverage in the great city of Chicago.”
Along with his new track I Might Need Security, Chance released 3 other new songs Work Out, Wala Caa featuring fellow Chicagoan Supa Bwe and 65th and Ingleside, all of which we have below for you to stream.
- #DummyDiaries: Erica Mena Arrested for Marijuana Possession During Domestic Dispute - October 15, 2018
- Pete Davidson Reportedly Heartbroken Over His Engagement to Ariana Grande being Over - October 15, 2018
- America’s Next Top Model Keith Carlos – The Eggplant Edition - October 15, 2018
- Comedian Donovan Weatherspoon aka 2RealMacDatFee’s Showing Off His Eggplant - October 15, 2018
- ICYMI: Black Ink Crew Chicago’s Phor Sends A&& Shot Videos to… Who Exactly? - October 14, 2018
- Model Steven Johnson’s Looking Pretty Heavy in His Boxer Briefs - October 13, 2018
- Diddy’s Son Justin Combs Gets Caught Sending Naked Videos - October 13, 2018
- British Rapper and Model Tom Zanetti Posts His Nudes on Snapchat - October 13, 2018
- WWE Wrestler Seth Rollins’ Fiance Leaks His Nudes Out of Alleged Cheating Revenge - October 13, 2018
- Fashion Designer Matthew Camp, His Fragrance ‘8.5’ & His D*ck Revealed - October 13, 2018